meta name="keywords" content="aston, aughton, beer, pubs" />
Another mock tudor facade for a pub that dates back to at least 1830 when the licensee George Staniforth sold both beer and groceries from this building! The porch that forms the entrance is a 20th century addition. As at Aug 2012 it's future is uncertain as it's closed and the lease seems up for sale. The high cost of running a pub and the general decline in pubgoing (the two are linked) have combined to put a question mark over its future.
There are several Blue Bell pubs in the area (e.g. in Harthill). Half a mile up the road, near to the entrance to Aston cum Aughton is the Yellow Lion, an old A57 coaching inn the rear of which used to be stables. The first bit was built around 1800 it has since been extended. Across the road from the Yellow Lion is an equestrian centre and the Aston Cricket Club.