Killamarsh, in the Domesday book (1086) as
'Chinewoldemaresc' or Cynewalds marsh. Population
Chinewoldemaresc (pronounce the C as a K and put on a Viking accent!) had evolved into Kinewaldsesmers by 1249 (according to the Concise Oxford Dictionary of English Place Names) on the way to its present name. Killamarsh is the commonly used name for what is actually a collection of small communities, namely Killamarsh, Norwood, Nether Green, Nether Moor, West Thorpe, after which the now closed (in 1990) pit was named, and Upper Thorpe. Thorpe has Norse roots and is derived from Torp or outlying farmstead. The names probably indicate something and its position relative to the old village, for as is often the case hereabouts Killamarsh is an ancient village that exploded in size with the opening of the local collieries in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. It is in North East Derbyshire, unlike the rest of the places on this website which are in South Yorkshire.
Along its northern edge is the Rother Valley Country Park with its water bird sanctuary, water skiing, angling, and the River Rother. It was these wetlands that put the marsh in Killamarsh. Travel less than a mile south to its southern boundary and the land rises 70m (220ft) - Killmarsh is hilly!
To the west are 2 disused railway lines (see the railway link below) one of which now hosts the Trans Pennine Trail. The old railway platform and signal box are still there, although the last train left the station in the 1960s.
The houses are mostly a mixture of early 20th century terraces plus lots of mid/late 20th/early 21st century semi - and detached houses. The medieval core of Killamarsh can still be found, mostly around its 12th century church, set in folded green countryside with a 17th century pub next door.