Thorpe hall - an Elizebethan manor house built in 1570 by the Sandford family, and bought by the Osbourne family around 1636 as part of the Thorpe Salvin manor (they were the family who were to become the Dukes of Leeds by 1694, and gave their names to the two 'Leeds' pubs around here), and now looked after by English Heritage. Only the south front remains standing. The public records also record the 'Athorpe family of Thorpe Hall Thorpe, Yorkshire' who became the first resident lords of the manor in Dinnington in 1678, and who's falcon containing family crest was indicated by the Falcon pub there.The actual entry is:
Athorpe family of Thorpe Hall
1335-1894 : Thorpe, Dinnington and Morthen deeds, family and estate papers, mainly rel to Dinnington, incl Carver family papers
Reference : Guide 1956 AM
NRA 41252 Atho
It was once the home of the 1st Duke of Leeds who decided that this Elizabethan house was not grand or modern enough, and so had a new seat built at Kiveton (see the Keeton Hall pages). After 1820 the Hall was dismantled. Kiveton (aka Keeton) Hall was demolished in 1811, so the area was deprived of two grand houses by the Dukes who moved to a bigger, grander, houses, notably Hornby Castle in North Yorkshire near to Catterick. Above is Thorpe Hall before it was dismantled.
Below; the Hall circa 1920
Below are pictures of the hall in February 2001.